After contributing as a sideman to a wide range of recordings (including works by Junior Mance, Memo Acevedo, Irakere and Da) and, in addition, after producing his own more recent EXTREME FLUTE projects, flutist Bill McBirnie is now cast in a straight-ahead acoustic jazz setting.
This first recording under his own name teams Bill up with one of the most formidable rhythm sections in Canada--if not the most formidable--namely, The Mark Eisenman Trio (with Mark Eisenman on piano, Steve Wallace on bass and John Sumner on drums).
The CD contains a blend of lesser-played but engaging repertoire and includes a set list that will appeal to the seasoned, as well as the less sophisticated, jazz listener. All of the selections are executed with a spirit and a conviction that will please both types of listeners. The result is a CD with a decidedly "drop-the-needle-anywhere" charm. The content of the album is listed below.
(1) What A Friend We Have In Jesus (Bonar/Converse) 7:54
(2) Monk’s Dream (Thelonius Monk) 4:45
(3) Poinciana (Bernier Simon) 10:44
(4) Lazy Bird (John Coltrane) 4:36
(5) Blue Lester (Lester Young) - Take 1 5:35
(6) Bye Ya (Thelonius Monk) 4:02
(7) Teaneck (Nat Adderley) 3:51
(8) Beatrice (Sam Rivers) 6:22
(9) Billy Boy (Traditional) 7:02
(10) Blue Lester (Lester Young) - Take 2 5:32
(11) Nature Boy (Eden Ahbez) 3:24
The album is available at major retailers in Canadaand through the distributor, Indie Pool. To order by mail, phone or secure e-commerce (including international orders), simply contact:
Indie Pool Canada
118 Berkeley Street
NOTE: Bill may be reached directly as follows:
Phone/FAX: (416) 652-1541