New York is a hotbed of jazz talent in the United States. From historical Birdland to the Knitting Factory downtown, music blossoms from every corner of this vast and glorious city. It is the place where musicians are made, fortunes are spent and dreams are revealed. If New York could whisper, she’d have many secret melodies and rhymes to tell.
After a short battle with her own health, jazz artist Laura Dreyer decided to bring a few of her friends together for this very special project to support breast cancer charities. The result is a collection of some of the finest female instrumentalists that New York has to offer. Each song in Sax in the City is a virtual jewel of supercharged jazz talent that is handpicked by Dreyer for a pleasure packed experience. Who can resist the sultry allure of Jane Getter’s "Pablo" or the toe-taping good time in "Hi-ya Mama!" by Mayhew?
According to the National Cancer Institute, "13.4 percent of women born today will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some time in their lives." While this percentage only reflects statistics for women, cancer doesn’t discriminate. It occurs in both women and men across all socioeconomic and racial backgrounds. It is something that affects all of us in one way or another.
Proceeds generated from the sell of Sax in the City will be donated specifically to charities and organizations that benefit the treatment and research of breast cancer.
"When I was approached by Laura Dryer regarding this project, I was really happy and honored to be able to help and support women and men who are fighting against breast cancer. By purchasing this CD, you support breast cancer charities and can enjoy more than one hour of great music! It can’t get better!" - Ada Rovatti, musician
Sax in the City - Tracks
1. Mysterious Encounter Laura Dreyer/alto saxophone (6:04)
2. Song for Sarah Deanna Witkowski/piano (6:56)
3. The Troubadors "Sweet" Sue Terry/alto saxophone (6:28)
4. Gabrielle Sarah Jane Cion/piano (7:16)
5. Hi-ya Mama! Virginia Mayhew/tenor saxophone (4:48)
6. Pablo Jane Getter/guitar (8:18)
7. Malambito Cecilia Tenconi/tenor saxophone (4:37)
8. Romance Ada Rovatti/tenor saxophone (6:06)
9. Waltz for NK Sheryl Bailey/guitar (4:23)
10. To H With Love Jenny Hill/flute (9:08)
11. Yearning Kerry Politzer/piano (5:54)